Most Active Stories
- Experts To Brief Lawmakers On Hep C In RI; Cost Of Treatment Likely To Come Up During Budget Talks
- Former Speaker Gordon Fox Pleads Guilty to Bribery, Wire Fraud & Filing a False Tax Return
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Raimondo's Budget Challenges And Secrecy
- Fox Broke Statehouse Iron Rule
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
Tue July 23, 2013
Worker Dies After Mt Hope Bridge Fall, OSHA Investigating
A worker who fell from the Mt Hope Bridge Tuesday has died, according to the Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Authority. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration is investigating the accident.
OSHA/Rhode Island director Patrick Griffin said a worker fell 30 feet while scaffolding was being removed after a painting job. The Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Authority said it was 70 feet. He landed on the deck of the bridge.
The accident happened at around 8:30am Tuesday and was reported to OSHA at 9:00 am.
The RITBA said it has stopped work on both the Newport Pell and Mt Hope Bridge pending a review of safety procedures.
The RITBA released a statement saying it extends its sympathies to the worker's family and friends for their loss.
Editor's note: This story has been updated since first published.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com