Most Active Stories
- Nuala Pell, Spouse And Political Partner Of Sen. Claiborne Pell, Dies
- Remembering Local Musician David Lamb Of Brown Bird
- Beer, Wine Bills Backed By Farm Breweries And Wineries, But Not Liquor Industry
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We Remember: Patriot's Day 2014
- Brown University Looking To Become Center For Brazilian Study
Tue July 23, 2013
Worker Dies After Mt Hope Bridge Fall, OSHA Investigating
A worker who fell from the Mt Hope Bridge Tuesday has died, according to the Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Authority. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration is investigating the accident.
OSHA/Rhode Island director Patrick Griffin said a worker fell 30 feet while scaffolding was being removed after a painting job. The Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Authority said it was 70 feet. He landed on the deck of the bridge.
The accident happened at around 8:30am Tuesday and was reported to OSHA at 9:00 am.
The RITBA said it has stopped work on both the Newport Pell and Mt Hope Bridge pending a review of safety procedures.
The RITBA released a statement saying it extends its sympathies to the worker's family and friends for their loss.
Editor's note: This story has been updated since first published.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com