Mon December 2, 2013
A Year After Superstorm Sandy, Parts Of Newport's Cliff Walk Ready To Reopen
The southernmost section of the Cliff Walk that was damaged last year by Superstorm Sandy is expected to reopen to the public this week.
The three-and-a-half mile trail was badly damaged in the storm. Cliff Walk Commission Chairman Robert B. Power said repairs will cost $3.5 million.
"It eroded a lot of the walkway near Ruggles Avenue which caused some of the sidewalk to cave in. It took a chunk of the actual stone out at Doris Duke’s estate which we had to go back and fill in. It tore a lot of the fencing behind Miramar," said Powers.
Fifty percent of the Cliff Walk has been closed since Superstorm Sandy. The walk is the most visited place in Rhode Island, drawing three quarters of a million tourists a year.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org