The mayor of Johnston said the town was extremely lucky no one was hurt during an explosion and fire near a power plant at the Central Landfill Tuesday morning. The town has padlocked the plant for safety reasons.
The fire and explosion were reported at a generator that’s used to convert landfill gases into electricity. It’s operated by Broadrock Renewables – the same company that had a newer power station shut down last week due to concerns about odors. Johnston Mayor Joseph Polisena said it appears to have been a sizeable blast.
The town of Johnston has taken the unusual step of shutting down the company charged with drawing off gases from the state’s Central Landfill. The reason is that persistent rotten egg smell that’s dogged the town for years.
Broadrock Renewables is supposed to siphon off gas from the landfill and turn it into energy. But lately the company has been allowing it to spew from pipes into the atmosphere, according to Johnston town officials. Johnston Mayor Joseph Polisena has issued a cease and desist order, requiring the company to suspend operations until the problem is fixed.