The mayor of Johnston said the town was extremely lucky no one was hurt during an explosion and fire near a power plant at the Central Landfill Tuesday morning. The town has padlocked the plant for safety reasons.
The fire and explosion were reported at a generator that’s used to convert landfill gases into electricity. It’s operated by Broadrock Renewables – the same company that had a newer power station shut down last week due to concerns about odors. Johnston Mayor Joseph Polisena said it appears to have been a sizeable blast.