Most of the civilian defense workers who were furloughed last week in Rhode Island because of the partial government shutdown are back to work.
U.S. Senator Jack Reed says the 300 workers furloughed by the Rhode Island National Guard have been brought back. The same goes for the 800 civilian defense workers who were furloughed at Naval Station Newport. Naval Station spokeswoman Lisa Rama said workers are glad to be back, even though they’re still not getting paid.
Operations at the Naval Station Newport are carrying on without hundreds of civilian workers caught up in the partial government shut down. The Naval Station Newport says about 800 civilians were furloughed. And over at the Naval War College, civilian instructors are staying home Wednesday and throughout the shutdown. Commander Carla McCarthy said that’s forced some classes to be suspended.