carbon monoxide

RI News
1:50 pm
Mon November 18, 2013

Two Injured From Explosion In Providence’s Jewelry District

Police evacuated 300 Richmond Street after an explosion sent manhole covers into the air.
Credit Megan Hall

Two people are injured after an underground blast caused manhole covers to fly. Providence fire fighters were responding to a call around 11:00am Monday of a strange odor at 300 Richmond in Providence’s Jewelry District when National Grid said a mix of fire and gases caused eight manhole covers to fly into the air.  

National Grid said there were readings of high levels of carbon monoxide at the location. Providence Police Commissioner Steven Pare said two pedestrians were slightly injured.

Read more
RI News
3:48 pm
Wed October 30, 2013

Couple Found Dead In Their Rhode Island Home

A couple was found dead in their Cranston home Wednesday morning and investigators suspect carbon monoxide poisoning. The home had no smoke or carbon monoxide detectors.

Cranston firefighters were called to a home on Pontiac Avenue at 8:30 am on a report of two people found unresponsive.  It was too late to save the 40-year-old man and 36-year-old woman.  Cranston fire marshal Stephen MacIntosh said the home was heated with a portable generator that should have been outside but was installed in the basement.  Carbon monoxide levels in the home, he said, were high.

Read more