Cranston Fire Department

Heather Paul / CC BY-ND 2.0

There’s a new crop of firefighters joining the Cranston Fire Department. The department will swear in the first female firefighter in city history.

Couple Found Dead In Their Rhode Island Home

Oct 30, 2013

A couple was found dead in their Cranston home Wednesday morning and investigators suspect carbon monoxide poisoning. The home had no smoke or carbon monoxide detectors.

Cranston firefighters were called to a home on Pontiac Avenue at 8:30 am on a report of two people found unresponsive.  It was too late to save the 40-year-old man and 36-year-old woman.  Cranston fire marshal Stephen MacIntosh said the home was heated with a portable generator that should have been outside but was installed in the basement.  Carbon monoxide levels in the home, he said, were high.