Michael Silverstein

RIPR file photo

Superior Court Judge Michael Silverstein has slated two hearings, starting next Tuesday, on whether to keep confidential some of the documents related to the state's lawsuit over 38 Studios.

It is not clear why Silverstein decided to take this step. Court Clerk Henry S. Kinch Jr. says the judge is trying to get consensus from the different parties in the case.

"He’s really focused on getting as much of the material that is agreed upon to be released," Kinch said. "That’s what he’s trying to do here."

A Superior Court judge is scheduled Tuesday to consider the first settlement growing out of the state’s lawsuit over 38 Studios. The settlement calls for the state to get a payment of $4.3 million.

After 38 Studios went bankrupt in 2012, the state sued 14 defendants to try to cut down the roughly $90 million owed by taxpayers. The first proposed settlement in the case was announced late last month. It involves the law firm of Moses Afonso Ryan, which served as bond counsel for the ill-fated 38 Studios project.


The judge overseeing the state’s lawsuit over 38 Studios warned lawyers Monday about what he called the dribbling out of information. The state is suing 14 defendants to try to cut taxpayers’ losses from the failed video-game company.

Superior Court Judge Michael Silverstein gently advised lawyers on both sides of the case against the early release of facts that he calls better suited for discussion at trial. That came after Silverstein heard arguments about whether to release documents connected to the case. The judge did not make an immediate decision on that question.