Navy

Politics
12:12 pm
Wed February 26, 2014

Sen. Reed Seeks To Preserve RI Naval And Sub Spending

Sen. Jack Reed (RI-D) serves on the armed services committee.
Credit Flo Jonic / RIPR

Sen. Jack Reed has begun reviewing Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel’s proposed military budget. Reed is a member of the senate Armed Services Committee, which will play a role in passing legislation to enact the budget. He says he’s looking carefully for ways to balance the need to trim spending while ensuring the nation’s military can meet the new kinds of security threats it may face in the future.

For example, Reed says he hopes to maintain funding for Rhode Island-based military research.

Read more
Economy
8:49 am
Thu December 19, 2013

Electric Boat Commits To Expansion In Rhode Island

General Dynamics Electric Boat in Quonset
Credit RIPR FILE

Submarine maker Electric Boat is expanding its presence in the state.

Electric Boat has signed a 25-year-lease that expands its footprint at the Quonset Business Park by 40 percent.   The company makes Virginia Class nuclear submarines for the Navy. The Navy recently doubled its order from one sub to two. Steve King, director of the Quonset Development Corporation which negotiated the lease, says the company will use the new space to accommodate the heavier workload.

Read more
RI News
2:14 pm
Mon October 7, 2013

Most Civilian Defense Workers Back on the Job in Rhode Island

Most of the civilian defense workers who were furloughed last week in Rhode Island because of the partial government shutdown are back to work. 

U.S. Senator Jack Reed says the 300 workers furloughed by the Rhode Island National Guard have been brought back.  The same goes for the 800 civilian defense workers who were furloughed at Naval Station Newport. Naval Station spokeswoman Lisa Rama said workers are glad to be back, even though they’re still not getting paid.

Read more
RI News
8:59 am
Wed October 2, 2013

Naval Station Newport Grapples with the Federal Shutdown

Operations at the Naval Station Newport are carrying on without hundreds of civilian workers caught up in the partial government shut down. The Naval Station Newport says about 800 civilians were furloughed. And over at the Naval War College, civilian instructors are staying home Wednesday and throughout the shutdown. Commander Carla McCarthy said that’s forced some classes to be suspended.

Read more
RI News
8:50 am
Wed September 18, 2013

Washington D.C. Naval Yard Shooter Visited Newport

The former Naval reservist who killed at least 12 people in Washington, DC, yesterday visited Newport in August. Aaron Alexis told Newport police that he was hearing voices.

Two officers responded to the Marriott hotel on America’s Cup Avenue for a harassment incident at about 6:30 in the morning on August 7th. According to a police report, Alexis told the officers he was a naval contractor and travels often.

Read more
RI News
3:38 am
Wed July 10, 2013

Thousands of Navy Workers Across RI Start Taking Unpaid Days Off

Credit US Navy

Thousands of civilians who work for the Navy started taking unpaid furlough days this week as part of federal budget tightening known as “sequestration.” It’s affecting operations at the Naval Station Newport and 49 other facilities.

From this week through the end of September, some 4,200 civilian Navy employees will each take 11 furlough days. That’s a 20 percent pay cut for employees, said Naval Station Newport spokeswoman Lisa Woodbury Rama who took her first furlough day on Monday.

Read more
RI News
2:13 pm
Thu May 30, 2013

Ringleader of Navy Kickback Scheme Pleads Guilty

Ralph Mariano leaves the federal courthouse in Providence Thursday after pleading guilty to three felonies in a Navy kickback scheme.
Credit Flo Jonic / RIPR

The architect of a scheme to defraud the U.S. Navy of millions of dollars has pleaded guilty to three felonies that could send him to prison for years. 

Ralph Mariano, a former civilian employee at the Naval Undersea Warfare Center in Newport, has pleaded guilty to conspiracy to steal government property, the theft of government property and tax evasion.  He faces up to 20 years in prison and $600,000 in fines at his sentencing September 5th.

Read more
RI News
10:53 am
Fri April 12, 2013

Bay Swim Loses Navy Support

A fundraiser swim across Narragansett Bay is in jeopardy because of federal sequestration.  The environmental group Save the Bay says the Navy can no longer help host the summer event that’s been going on for more than 30 years in Newport.

The group still plans to hold the swim but says it’s facing financial challenges.  Save the Bay says they’ve lost at least million dollars in annual federal funding over the past few years.  Their Newport aquarium was also destroyed in Superstorm Sandy.